By Scott Womack, WVPE Legislative
Representative and Monroe County Chair
West Virginia Professional Educators (WVPE) has developed five goals based on the needs and concerns of its membership. Data for these goals was compiled from members’ responses to our Fall 2022 survey:
- Educators hired since July 2015 (Tier II) should have the option to convert their unused sick days into years of service or for insurance premiums.
- Teacher salaries and incentives should be increased in order to recruit, and retain, and attract new educators to the field, and to be competitive to salaries offered in school systems of neighboring states.
- The potential for PEIA premiums to increase in 2027 must be averted to ensure that coverage continues to remain affordable for educators and state workers with a dedicated funding plan.
- We support the West Virginia Legislature and the West Virginia Department of Education goal to focus on core subject areas and for expanding supports that will enable our teachers to successfully meet the needs of our students.
- As more students qualify for Special Education services, more supports are needed to effectively manage these larger caseloads, and expand our Special Education teacher base, to ensure that these students’ needs are being met.