United Way of Greenbrier Valley (UWGBV) is a local, nonprofit organization advancing the common good in Greenbrier, Monroe, and Pocahontas Counties. We focus on the building blocks of a good life: successful kids, financially stable families, and healthy communities. Our goal is to create lasting change by addressing the underlying causes of problems. To do that, we involve the community in giving, advocating for change, and volunteering.
I already give to charity. Why should I give to United Way of Greenbrier Valley?
Because no other organization meets all of the needs addressed by UWGBV.
• UWGBV focuses on the most pressing issues for our kids, families, and community.
• Your contribution works right here in your own community.
• UWGBV not only meets needs today, we’re working on solutions for lasting change.
• UWGBV makes it easy to give and raises the level of philanthropy for the whole community. Together, we make a stronger impact.
Why should I give my money to United Way and not just directly to agencies?
United Way of Greenbrier Valley does much more than simply collect and distribute money.
• UWGBV monitors programs that receive grants to ensure they follow sound fiscal policies and provide effective services. Careful stewardship is valuable to donors who want their contributions to make the greatest impact. (This oversight is not provided for donations designated directly to agencies.)
• UWGBV works two ways: meeting immediate needs and addressing the underlying causes of problems for long-term results.
• UWGBV looks for gaps and duplications to ensure that the services needed in our communities are available.
• United Way affiliation enables agencies to leverage public and private funding. This multiplies the effect of your contribution.
• Giving through UWGBV reduces fundraising efforts for the agencies, so their time and money can be spent helping others.
What agencies does United Way of Greenbrier Valley fund?
UWGBV funds solutions related to health, education, income, and basic needs. Providing grants to agencies is one way of achieving our goals. We currently fund more than 25 local nonprofits that provide critical services, produce measurable and effective results, and meet priority needs for people in the Greenbrier Valley.
• High Rocks
• Communities In Schools
• Monroe Health Center
• Pocahontas County Senior Citizens
• Greenbrier County Head Start
• Black Diamond Girl Scouts
• Family Refuge Center
• Monroe Coalition For Children & Families
• Greenbrier County CYAC
• Hospice Care, Inc.
• Shepherd’s Center of Greenbrier Valley
• Greenbrier County Youth Camp
• Carnegie Hall
• Monroe Early Childhood Association
• Northern Greenbrier Latch Key
• Monroe Day Care Center
• The Tutoring Center
• Greenbrier Valley Theatre
• Almost Heaven Habitat for Humanity
• Greenbrier County Committee on Aging
• Gateway Industries
• Western Greenbrier Ministerial Association
• Rainelle Medical Center
• Homeless, Inc.
I never use agency services, so why should I give?
You never know when you, a member of your family, a coworker, or a neighbor may need a United Way service. Job loss, loss of a loved one, illness, accidents, disabilities, family problems, natural disasters, mental disorders, and the problems of growing up and growing old know no boundaries.
The work we do is not possible without the support of our community members. Please consider a donation to the United Way of Greenbrier Valley. No amount is too small. You can mail in a personal or business check along with the donation form located near this article to: UWGBV P.O. Box 572 Lewisburg, WV 24901. You can also find out more information and make a secure donation online at www.UWGBV.org and click GIVE. Feel free to call our office at 304-647-3783 if you have any questions. Thank you for your continued support of our important mission!