The weather was perfect on Tuesday, Jan. 1, for the 2019 Shanghai Parade in downtown Lewisburg.
The streets were packed on both sides with families eager to grab candy thrown from the floats and to catch a glimpse of locals struttin’ their stuff down Washington Street. Lasting for 41 minutes, with 58 entries, the parade was chock-full of great floats, walkers, and more.
The winners of the parade are as follows:
- #44 Cliff Baker “Where’s the Snow”
- #78 Bill and Gloria Martin ‘29 Ford
- #77 John Dorsey “Rat Rod”
- #86 Charlie & Jeri Gillispie- Gavin- Black Clydesdale
- #95 WV Renaissance Festival
- #89 Kelly Arfsten “Elf and Friends”
- #79 Goodladd Dogs- Janine Lazarus
- #83 Lieselotte Heil “Hobbs and Snow Bear”
- #82 Richard Grist “Walking dog”
Best Dressed Farm Equipment
- #55 Lindsey Sears/Chester Loudermilke ‘52 Ford 8N
- #85 “Old Mother Hubbard”- Gene Beard and friends
- #54 “Service Above Self”- Jerry & Linda Clemons
- #80 “Bike Built for Three”- Brian De Rowen
- #74 Debbie Yates 103.1 The Bear
- #41 Miss Shanghai Winners
- #48 Shuck Memorial Church
- #42 Miss Shanghai Winner
Walkers 1-2 persons
- #38 “New Years Baby” Matt Peltier
- #68 “18th Century Scot” Scott Womack
- #60 “Tortoise and Hare” Randy Tephabock
Walkers 3+ people
- #73 “Roller Coaster” Vision Quest/Martha Hilton
- #63 Master Gardeners
- #37 Boy Scout Troop 70
The Joe Ellis Memorial Tradition Prize went to #68 “18th Century Scot” Scott Womack
The Mary Satterfield Spirit of Shanghai Award went to #73 “Roller Coaster” Vision Quest/Martha Hilton
The Chairman’s Award went to #85 “Old Mother Hubbard”- Gene Beard and friends
The Jim Willis Memorial Award went to #72 “The Pope” Chally Erb.
The Participant travelling the furthermost distance to the Parade went to #58 Christine Gottwald traveling from Berlin, Germany.
The Oldest Participant went to Gene Beard
The Lewisburg Volunteer of the Year is Sally Lane.
The Super Duper Pooper Scooper this year was Lewisburg Police Chief Tim Stover
Judges: Jeff Vickers, Todd Ramboldt, Kim Kowalkowski, Dr. Tom Kowalkdowski and Pam Barry.
MC: Mike Kidd
Scorekeepers: Shane Hanna and Michelle Hanna
Temperature: 49 degrees
Estimated crowd: 1,500
Number of entries: 58
Time (length of parade): 41 minutes.
The Shanghai Parade Committee consists of Dr. Mary Ann Mann, Chair; DeEtta King Hunter, Treasurer; Steve Hunter, Tom Campbell, Susan Sharp Campbell, Mike Kidd, Jeanne and Mike Wyatt, Lindsey Evans and Mardi McMillion.
Special thanks are in order for Gary Canterbury of GC Sales for judges stand, city of Lewisburg employees, the police department, Mike Kidd and Seth Kidd, Lewisburg Mayor John Manchester, Shannon Beatty, The Asylum and Paula Thomas, Boy Scout Troop 70, the Mountain Messenger Newspaper, the West Virginia Daily News, and Channel 59 News for helping make the parade a success.