The last “First Saturday Devotions” and daily Mass for 2017 scheduled for the Catholic Church of Mary Immaculate near Williamsburg will be Oct. 7, beginning at 10:30 a.m.
The oldest Catholic church building in Greenbrier County, the Williamsburg church was constructed and opened in 1901, the third Catholic church building to serve the primarily German and Irish Catholics of northern and central Greenbrier County. The previous two church buildings burnt.
The church building was restored in the late 1990’s through the efforts of Dr. and Mrs. Larry Musselman of nearby Butler Mountain Road.
Located on Catholic Church Road, off the Frankford-Williamsburg Road, 4.5 miles west of Frankford and US 219, the church is used for first Saturday devotions and daily Mass May through October each year and is a chapel of the St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church in Ronceverte. It previously was a chapel in the Sacred Heart parish in Rainelle.
A covered dish luncheon will be served on the grounds following the devotions and daily Mass and the public is invited to attend the services and lunch.
Father John McDonough serves as pastor and Father Jim Conyers, parochial vicar, for St. Charles Borromeo parish in White Sulphur Springs and St. Catherine of Siena parish in Ronceverte as well as St. Louis, King of France, Mission in Lewisburg, St. John, the Evangelist Chapel in Sweet Springs, and the Church of Mary Immaculate near Williamsburg.
Members of the Alleghany Highlands Council 8689 Knights of Columbus, including Dr. Musselman, assist with the services and lunch at the Church of Mary Immaculate.