This week’s 1929 photo shows the Bank of Renick. On the left is Mary Rapp Callison and on the far right is the cashier, J.R. Baxter. The bank was established in 1909 and capitalized with $25,000. The original incorporators include A. D. Williams of Marlinton; B. A. Rapp, M. P. Hanna, and O. P. Kinsley of Falling Spring; and D. B. Rapp of Lewisburg. The population of the Falling Spring district that includes Renick was 5,689 in 1910 – more than twice the population of the Lewisburg district. The bank building still stands.
Photo: Courtesy of Greenbrier Historical Society.
Sources: The Greenbrier Independent, U. S. Census