Monongahela National Forest has announced the 2022 opening dates for developed recreation sites across the Forest. The dates may change based on local conditions. Visit the Forest’s Recreation Conditions Report at https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/mnf/recreation for the most current information. Go to www.recreation.gov to make campground and picnic shelter reservations for some sites. Not all sites are available for reservations.
Learn about ways to recreate responsibly and be considerate of others at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/know-before-you-go/responsible-recreation.
Opening dates for recreation sites on the Marlinton-White Sulphur Ranger District (304-799-4334) in the Marlinton area:
- Day Run Campground – Apr. 4
- Highland Scenic Highway – Road opens when snow-free; toilets open Apr. 4, weather permitting
- Pocahontas Campground – Apr. 11
- Rimel Picnic Area – Apr. 4
- Tea Creek Campground – Apr. 4
- Williams River Developed Dispersed Campsites (Sites #19 to #30 located near or upstream of Tea Creek Campground) – Area opens when snow-free; toilets open Apr. 4
- Williams River Fishing Pier – Area opens when snow-free; toilets open Apr. 4
Opening dates for recreation sites on the Marlinton-White Sulphur Ranger District (304-536-2144) in the White Sulphur Springs area:
- Anthony Creek Dispersed Camping – Area opens when snow-free
- Blue Bend Recreation Area – Campground and small pavilion opens Mar. 22. Large Pavilion opens May 23.
- Blue Meadow Group Campground – May 23
- Hopkins Mountain Fireman’s Cabin – June 1
- Lake Sherwood – Lake, boat ramp, trailhead, and vault toilets at beach and gatehouse – open year-round
- Lake Sherwood Entrance Road Dispersed Camping – Areas opens when snow-free
- Lake Sherwood Recreation Area – West Shore Camping Loop – Apr. 11
- Lake Sherwood Recreation Area – remaining campground loops, group camping, picnic area, picnic pavilion and swimming beach – May 23. Day Use entrance fee will be charged beginning May 20.
Roadside camping, also called dispersed camping or boondocking, is available in many areas of the Forest year-round. For more information about recreation facilities, contact the District Office near the location you would like to visit. Contact information is listed at https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mnf/about-forest/offices