Brad Tuckwiller is pleased to announce his candidacy for return to the Greenbrier County Commission after serving 2005–2010. Tuckwiller holds a Bachelor of Science degree from West Virginia University in Business Administration – Finance and completed the Stonier Graduate School of Banking in 1983. Here are more personal details:
• Two children (Leah and Kinder) and a half (Elizabeth)
• First Job – delivering flowers for Lewisburg Floral
• Government accomplishments (shared credit) of which he is proud:
– Contracting Humane Society to operate the Animal Shelter
– Implementing County Building Code and inspections
– Meadow River Rail Trail
– Favorite Bands – Bruce, Dave Mathews, Dawes
• Quote I keep on my reminder list – “Change happens when the cost of the status quo is greater than the risk of change.” —Alan Webber
• Government disappointments:
– Defeat of 2010 Comprehensive Plan
– Resignations and firings of the good employees hired 2005-2008.
– Failure of public/private partnership attempt for a Rec Center in Fairlea
• Favorite Movie – “Shawshank Redemption”
• Management style – Hire good people, provide them proper tools and let them do their job. Support them but make them accountable.
• Phrase I dislike hearing – “This is how we’ve always done it.”
• Personal disappointment – Divorce
• Things I’d like to help happen:
– Enhance the County’s tourism offerings to increase employment
– More treatment opportunities for addiction
– Get the swimming pool debacle settled
• Comments on local government:
– County government should build upon strengths; we can’t expect to build it just anywhere and they (businesses, tourists, residents) will come.
– It’s okay to disagree within the County Commission when the reasoning for opposing views is not simply stubbornness or revenge.
• Current job(s) – Real estate broker, consultant to Charleston-based company offering surety bonds and investment management.