Southern States Cooperative has launched its first annual Animal In Need Feed Drive to help raise food donations for local animal rescue organizations.
The farm supply retailer is collecting donations of all types of animal feed this holiday season: dogs, cats, horses, goats, cattle and more.
“With average dry feed ranging between $10-$50, shelters really need help from the community to feed the animals in their shelters,” said company spokesperson, Chris Carter.
To give you an idea of how important this need is, on average:
• Cats require up to an eighth pound of food per day
• Dogs require up to a quarter pound of food per day
• Poultry require between half to a full pound of food per day (based on a small backyard flock)
• Goats and other small livestock require between 3-6 pounds of feed per day depending on their forage intake
• Horses require up to 20 pounds of feed per day, depending on their forage intake
• Cattle require up to 30 pounds of feed per day, depending on their forage intake
The feed drive will continue through Dec. 11. Donations can be made at participating Southern States locations and will be delivered to local animal shelters in December.
For more information, visit southernstates.com/feeddrive.