The Ronceverte City Council approved the first reading of an ordinance to design a new drinking water pipe system within the city limits of Ronceverte, with the advice of bond consultant John Stump of Steptoe & Johnson PLLC of Charleston, who was present at the Monday night Council meeting.
The ordinance will authorize costs not to exceed $350,000 for engineers to design the water system and to pay for pre-construction expenses. This ordinance will be a three-reading process with the final reading and public hearing to be held on Dec. 10. A construction trust fund account at Premier Bank was also approved.
In other business, Mayor David Smith said Doug Hylton has submitted a grant to fund the replacement of a leaky roof at the Armory building.
- The week of Oct. 11-18 has been declared Thanksgiving Week as a Christian Heritage Week Proclamation, an observation in which 130 towns across the state participate for the 27th consecutive year.
- A Meet the Candidates forum event will be held at City Hall on Monday, Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. to benefit local residents.
- The Ronceverte River Festival needs funds for next year’s summer event. Friends of the Festival will host an auction on Oct. 27 to build a reserve of funds for the 2019 festival in June. Council member Barbara Morgan is asking community members to donate items for the auction (couches, chairs and home furnishings, but no clothing, please). She said to give her a call at 304-647-4073 and she will pick up items or meet donating deliveries at the Armory. “This is a worthwhile cause,” she said. “Please donate.”
- City Manager Reba Mohler said Halloween Trick or Treat will be celebrated on Wednesday night, Oct. 31 between 6 and 8 p.m. in Ronceverte at participating houses with their porch lights on. Candy treats will also be given out at the Armory, she said.
- Next week is Fire Prevention Week, the mayor said, and reminded the community that burning brush is only allowed between the hours of 5 and 7 p.m. He said to be sure to call the 911 Center to alert them of your plans to burn brush prior to the burn so neighbors are not alarmed by the smoke.