At the Monday night Ronceverte City Council meeting, it was announced that grant consultant Doug Hylton, a Ronceverte resident, had passed away on Mar. 1.
The council agreed to dedicate the annual Make It Shine Day on Apr. 16 to Hylton. “We are hoping a lot of community-minded citizens will remember Doug, who was always a volunteer,” said Mayor David Smith.
In other business:
- The 16th Annual Greenbrier Valley Polar Bear Plunge will be held on Saturday, Mar. 9, at 1 p.m. at Ronceverte Island Park. The Plunge website states plungers will collect donations prior to the event and the club will donate 100 percent of their proceeds to the Children and Youth Advocacy Center of Lewisburg (CYAC).
- The Ronceverte River Festival’s request for a variance to hold a bucket drive on Saturday, May 26, between 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. was approved by the city council. Bucket drives are usually held on holiday weekends, Mohler said.
- The filing period for the municipal election, to be held on Tuesday, June 4, began on Tuesday, Mar. 5 and will run through Tuesday, Apr. 2.
- City Council approved holding a brief council meeting on Mar. 18 at 6 p.m. to approve the budget.
- The renewal of a 5-year non-exclusive franchise agreement with Shentel Cable TV was tabled to review and remove language found in the contract agreement, which automatically renews without a notice to the city.