The Richlands Ruritan club met on Sept. 9, at the Calvary Methodist Church. After dinner was served, the members conducted a short business meeting. Guests at this meeting were Jack Tuckwiller, Scott and Joanna Kiddle. It was announced that the flagpole and solar panel was installed at the Calvary Methodist Church on Sept. 5. The flag will be illuminated at night and will fly around the clock at the church.
The program for the evening was by Jerry Clements of ABB Analytical Measurements a local manufacturing firm in Lewisburg. Clements has worked at ABB Analytical Measurements since 1968. Clements traced the history of the firm from its initial start in 1953. He explained that the parent company, ABB, is a multi-national company with plants throughout the world and headquarters in Switzerland. The principal products are provided to the power generation and transmission industry, and for the petro-chemical and refining industries.
ABB Analytical Measurements provides gas chromatograph-based products for oil and gas refining, environmental and safety, and chemical processing plants. Chromatograph analyzers detect the presence of certain gaseous elements. Other products include photometric and chemical analysis equipment. Approximately 60 percent of their business is to overseas customers and includes most of the major oil, gas and chemical companies.
The plant in Lewisburg employs 140 workers in a building of 96,000 square feet. Annual sales are approximately $30-40 million.
The Richlands Ruritan club meets on the second Wednesday of each month for a dinner meeting at the Calvary Methodist Church on Route 60W.
The Ruritan Civic organization is a national network of clubs working together for a stronger America. The Ruritan focus is to support community services in small towns and rural communities across America. The Ruritans were founded in 1928 in Holland, Virginia and celebrated their 87th year this May. The Richlands Ruritan Club provides scholarships to local college students and 4-H campers and maintains Tuckwiller Park.