The New River Community and Technical College Office of Workforce Education will present the following class offerings to the community:
• Cake Decorating Class with Instructor Sue Kessinger begins Mar. 3 through Mar. 19. This three-week class will be held from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You will learn the fundamentals of cake decorating including, icing consistency, cake preparation, pressure control, basic color mixing, pattern transfers, flowers, and more.
• Choose Your Destination: A Financial Wellness Seminar for Women will be instructed by Justin Kerns from 6 – 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Mar. 11.
• Planning Your Great Escape – Retirement with instructor Justin Kerns will be presented from 6 – 8 p.m. on Thursday, Mar. 19. The financial needs of women are much different from those of men, especially when planning retirement. Women tend to live longer, work fewer years, make less money and invest more conservatively. As a result, their money needs to last longer. These two classes will introduce you to some valuable information so you will have at your disposal tools and resources needed to empower you towards your financial future.
• Seed Starting 101 with instruction by the Master Gardeners of Greenbrier Valley held from 10 – 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Mar. 10. You only need a few basic skills and a little patience to give you the faith that each seed will grow where you’ve planted it. Whether you sow for flavor or for flowers, there’s nothing quite as miraculous as growing an entire plant from one tiny seed. Come learn how seven steps will ensure success.
• Beginners Quilting Workshop will be held on Tuesdays: morning class, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.; evening class, 3 – 6 p.m, Apr. 7 through Apr. 28. Instructors: Kim Roberts and Dorleen McDowell. This workshop will benefit those who are absolute beginners to those who may have missed their basics. Class will include instruction on how to read a ruler, how to use a rotary cutter, how to read a pattern, how to cut patches and triangles in fabric, and how to sew a quilt top. Students will complete a 60” x 72” quilt top in the theme of “Jacob’s Ladder.”
• Intermediate Quilting Workshop is being offered to benefit both the intermediate and experienced quilter. This four-week class will include sections on piecing, using rotary cutters, reading and using rulers, and pattern reading. Participants will receive a kit that includes fabric and pattern. Students will complete a king size quilt top in a design from “Pinwheel Parade.” Instructors: Dorleen McDowell and Kim Roberts. Classes offered Tuesdays: morning class, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.; evening class, 3 – 6 p.m., Apr. 7 through Apr. 28.
All classes will be held at the New River CTC, Lee Street Complex (former Lewisburg Elementary School) in Lewisburg. For additional information, costs or to register for classes call 304-793-3001 or 304-793-6101.
New River Community and Technical College serves nine counties in southeastern West Virginia from the Greenbrier Valley Campus (Lewisburg), Mercer County Campus (Princeton), Nicholas County Campus (Summersville), and Raleigh County Campus (Beaver/Beckley).