A new Allen organ has been donated by the Diocese of Wheeling/Charleston to St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in White Sulphur Springs and will be used for the first time in worship on Sunday, Feb. 7, at 2 p.m. when the church hosts the first traditional Latin High Mass to be held in that church since the early 1960s.
Dedicated in 1959, the “new” Catholic church sanctuary “is the perfect church for the traditional Latin Mass since it still has the High Altar and the Communion Rail, both of which were used in the Latin Masses,” a spokesman for the Alleghany Highlands Knights of Columbus pointed out. Because of the size of the church, the church also has a sound system which will be used during this special Mass.
Father James Conyers, pastoral assistant for St. Charles Borromeo and St. Catherine of Siena in Ronceverte, will officiate at the High Mass.
In addition to the debut of the new organ, the service will feature a choir, made up of members of area Catholic churches, which will be leading the congregation in special hymns selected for the Mass.
“This Mass will meet the Sunday obligation for Catholics,” Father Conyers noted, “This is a result of the action taken by Pope Benedict and Pope Francis.” The public, Catholic and non-Catholics alike, are invited to this special service which is considered by many as a classical, historical and musical form of worship.
St. Charles Borromeo is located on US 60 West of White Sulphur Springs, opposite The Greenbrier Hotel Clinic. The official address is 325 West Main Street.
A reception will be held following the Mass in the parish hall, hosted by the Knights of Columbus.
For further information, contact the office of the Catholic Churches of the Greenbrier Valley 304-536-1813 or Father Conyers 304-667-9043.