Five never before toured homes and gardens are featured on the 35th Lewisburg Home and Garden Tour on Saturday, June 11.
From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., visit homes reflecting historic and modern restoration and decoration. Ranging in age from 86 years to 171 years, each home will delight and inspire.
Tickets are $20 and are available at the Greenbrier County Convention and Visitors Bureau, the North House Museum and from area garden club members. Tickets will be available the day of the tour at all featured homes.
Featured homes are:
Mt. Airy, owned by Marni Thomas Wood for the past 45 years. This home was built by Mason Mathews after he acquired the 1.5 acres in 1845. An earlier brick home on the property had burned. Of additional interest is the laundry room which was a former separate kitchen and a wagon house for use as a dairy farm. A log cabin was moved onto the property in the 1970’s.
The Vickerage, owned by Don and Marit Withrow. The home was built in 1910 by John and Mary Strealy. It was purchased by Ruth Woods Dayton in 1955, renovated by architect Robert Daley, and gifted to Dr. and Mrs. George Vick, minister of the First Presbyterian Church in Charleston, WV. The home has served as a vacation home for several families, including the Withrows. The home is furnished with vintage and antique furniture, rugs and art. The charming garden includes an unusual Persian Witch Hazel tree (Parrotia Perica).
Greystone, owned by Elizabeth Fentress. The 1930’s house was returned to its studs in 2003, and completely renovated. An enclosed porch was added. The stone used in the renovation came from the same quarry as the original stone. A log cabin structure encloses a generator. Unfortunately the once magnificent English-style garden filled with wonderful annuals, roses, lilies, etc. was decimated by rampant deer. The current garden has been replanted with deer-resistant varieties.
DeHaven, a circa 1866 Victorian-style home, is owned by Dr. and Mrs. James DeHaven. Located within walking distance of downtown, the home is described by a former owner as “a dreamy home” in reference to the bay windows and intricate carvings under the gables and porch. The first recorded owner was Mary Ann Lewis, great niece of General Andrew Lewis after whom the town of Lewisburg is named. The garden contains day lilies that surround the huge old trees, and a lovely pink peony bush near the bay window on the east side which thrives from 1900.
Hart-Echols, built c. 1920, this handsome American Four Square style home, owned by Cate Bennett and Dylan Boone, has undergone extensive renovations over the past three years. Bought to accommodate multiple family uses, the interior restoration project used much of the lumber from large trees on the property that had to be removed. The one acre lot was originally part of a 45 acre parcel designated in the deed book as Home Place or Home Lot owned by John J. Echols, Jr., who built the home. Several families have owned this house including John Echol’s niece, Janet Echols Heffernam and her husband, Hoople. The home is located on the corner of Echols Lane and Davis Street.
In addition to the five homes with their gardens, an additional garden will be shown in Garden Heights at the corner of Alderson Street, Highland Circle and Comstock Street. This one-time blank hillside has been transformed to a stunning array of trees, bushes, perennials and annuals. It’s a true labor of love achieved by Ron Refsland who uses his artist eye to delight all who drive by.
At 4 p.m., gather at The General Lewis Inn for refreshments, a drawing and an opportunity to participate in a silent auction featuring items assembled by each of the Lewisburg garden clubs: Bluebells, Greenbrier Gardeners, Lewisburg House & Garden and Savannah. From a queen-size quilt to a hypertufa planted with succulents to Smooth Ambler products in a tote all the offerings will generate excitement. The proceeds will be used for beautification projects in the area.