Rock Fiddler on the ROOF!
By Cindy Lavender-Bowe Executive Director, United Way of the Greenbrier Valley
With over 2 million views on YouTube and having played concerts in major cities across the country and around the world, Adam DeGraff brings his unique brand of rockin’ fiddle playing home to Lewisburg to play a benefit concert for the United Way on Thursday, July 30.
DeGraff, a longtime resident of the Greenbrier Valley and a world-renowned musician, is excited to jumpstart fundraising for the 2015 United Way Annual Campaign.
“I love my home town and the people that live here. I love the generous spirit of The United Way and the tireless work they do to make the world a better place,” says DeGraff. “I am so excited to pair what I do with what they do, and on the rooftop of the coolest new bar in the coolest small town to boot! By working together, we can do so much more than any one of us can do alone.”
DeGraff, the rock, pop, hip-hop and classical violinist, will be performing on Thursday, July 30, at The Asylum’s newly opened rooftop bar. “Rock Fiddler on the Roof” is a benefit for the United Way of the Greenbrier Valley. The Asylum is located in Lewisburg and the event starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $50 a person and include performance, appetizers, and one drink ticket. Tickets can be purchased by calling 304-647-3783. Tickets are limited to 85, so call now! All proceeds benefit United Way of Greenbrier Valley
Each year, United Way of the Greenbrier Valley, local businesses, and the local community join forces to raise more than $200,000. One hundred percent of these funds are RAISED HERE; 99 cents of every dollar raised STAYS here. The annual United Way of GBV campaign supports more than 30 local programs each year. These carefully selected programs must demonstrate their intentions to improve lives in the Greenbrier Valley in measurable and lasting ways.
Did you know that in 2014, your funds helped United Way of the Greenbrier Valley:
• Purchase 3,000 books for children enrolled in Greenbrier County’s Head Start Pre K program.
• Fund 100+ scholarships enabling low income children to participate in programs with 4-H, Girl Scouts, Carnegie Kids’ College, GVT’s Youth, Communities in Schools & Tutoring Center.
• Fund Warming Hands & Hearts; providing emergency utility assistance to families to keep the heat on during winter months. Last year, this program served 300 families in our communities.
• In partnership with Gateway Industries, Homeless, Inc. and area food banks, provided emergency assistance to over 4,000 individuals last year.
• Fund services for abused women & children at Family Refuge Center, CASA, and CYAC.
• Fund critical home repairs through Almost Heaven Habitat for Humanity.
• In partnership with HospiceCare, we provided families needed end of life care.
• Through partnerships with The Shepherd Center, Pocahontas County Senior Citizens, and Greenbrier Committee on Aging, we helped older adults stay independent as long as possible by funding meals and exercise classes for senior citizens.
No gift is too small. Together, our gifts add up to help the United Way impact the lives of the children and families a big way. When we as individuals think outside ourselves, we have the power to facilitate change. When we reach out a hand to one, we influence the condition of all. We build the strength of our neighborhoods. We bolster the health of our communities. And we change the lives of those who walk by us every day. Together, united, we can inspire hope and create opportunities for a better tomorrow.
For more information about the United Way of Greenbrier Valley visit us at www.unitedwaygreenbrier.org or call the office at 304-647-3783.