In August of 1846, 63 members were dismissed by the Old Greenbrier Baptist Church for the purpose of constituting a new church of the same faith and order. These Christian members did avow their firm belief in the summary of the Christian doctrines of faith contained in a constitution consisting of 12 articles of commitment to the teaching of the Holy Scriptures, The Church, and to one another.
On land donated by Matthew Scott, the first church was built. The land contained a beautiful grove of trees and the geological formation of the limestone plateau which consisted of sinkholes, cliffs, etc., that extended northward, eastward and southward. Along with the land features, their Baptist faith and belief in the scriptures, after the church was organized, the pioneer Christians named it Sinks Grove Baptist Church. Later, the village nearby adopted its name to be called Sinks Grove, as we know it today.
On Sunday, June 26, Sinks Grove Baptist Church will celebrate 170 years of the Lord’s gracious provision and guidance! Join them at 11 a.m. for special singing by the Sescos and a message by guest speaker Charlie Meadows. The church will provide a meal afterwards, and they will have more special singing at 2 p.m. by Harmony Creek Junction. (Sunday School at 10 a.m.)