Greenbrier County Special Olympics announces the following fundraisers for October:
• Saturday, Oct. 4, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Kmart Safety Fair, 97 Seneca Trail, Fairlea
• Athletes and volunteers will be selling walking tacos and baked goods. All proceeds go to Greenbrier County Special Olympics.
• Thursday, Oct. 9, 5-8 p.m., Burger King Cash-o-la, 101 Seneca Trail, Fairlea. Athletes and volunteers will be handing out coupons at the restaurant and 20 percent of sales go to Greenbrier County Special Olympics.
• Saturday, Nov. 1, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., Falling for a Cure Expo (American Cancer Society) at the Clifford Recreation and Community Center, Ronceverte
• Greenbrier County Special Olympics will be selling baked goods and crafts. Over 30 vendors will be selling crafts and direct sell products. Food Concession by Jim’s Drive-In.
Direct donations may be made by check to “Greenbrier County Special Olympics” and mailed to Linda Weikle, 276 Bailey Road, Lewisburg, WV 24901-9389. The funds raised at these events go towards the registration fees for state athletic competitions. It costs about $1,400-$2,000 for each event that athletes and volunteers attend. Greenbrier County athletes appreciate the support of the community! Visit our website, www.greenbriercountyspecialolympics.com, for more information.
Greenbrier County Special Olympics is a nonprofit organization that uses its funds to purchase tee shirts/uniforms, pay registration fees for state events, and other fees as needed for its athletes. Special Olympics offers children and adults with intellectual disabilities comprehensive year-round training and competition in Olympic-type sports. It is open to all people with intellectual disabilities who are at least 8 years old, regardless of the degree of their disability. Athletes interested in participating in Greenbrier County Special Olympics may contact Director John Miller, Jr. at 304-646-0579 or Co-Director Patrick Walker at 304-992-1416.