While most of Monongahela National Forest is open year-round, closing only when access roads are snow-covered, some developed campgrounds, picnic areas and both visitor centers are routinely closed from late fall through mid-spring.
Closing dates for recreation sites on the Marlinton-White Sulphur Ranger District (304-799-4334) in the Marlinton area:
- Day Run Campground – 11/30
- Highland Scenic Highway – Road closes when snow covered
- Pocahontas Campground – 11/30
- Rimel Picnic Area – 12/31
- Tea Creek Campground – 11/30
- Williams River Developed Dispersed Campsites (#19 to #30 – sites near and upstream of Tea Creek Campground) – Toilets are closed
Closing dates for recreation sites on the Marlinton-White Sulphur Ranger District (304-536-2144) in the White Sulphur Springs area:
- Blue Bend Recreation Area – 11/30
- Blue Meadow Group Campground – closed
- Lake Sherwood – The lake is open year-round. Toilets close 11/2
- Lake Sherwood Recreation Area West Shore Loop – 11/2
- Lake Sherwood Recreation Area remaining campground loops – closed
- Lake Sherwood Recreation Area picnic area, picnic pavilion and swimming beach – closed
- Lake Sherwood Recreation Area boat ramp and trailhead – Open year-round
Roadside camping, also called dispersed camping, is available in many areas of the Forest year-round. Contact the Ranger District near the location you would like to visit for more information. A list of offices can be found at https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mnf/about-forest/offices.
For more information about recreation sites visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/mnf/recreation.