Adult water aerobics classes began at the Greenbrier State Forest swimming pool on June 7.
The classes are held each Tuesday and Thursday, from 10:30-11:30 a.m., until the end of summer. The class instructor is Cheryl Nutter. Lifeguards are always on duty.
Water aerobics provides great fitness. Some of the benefits are as follows:
- Swimming increases strength. As one ages, muscle loss occurs, and muscle loss can decrease strength.
- Pool exercises improve heart health.
- Water aerobics reduce risk for osteoporosis.
- Water exercises to improve flexibility.
- Swimming improves mental well-being.
- Water exercises help reduce the risk of falling.
This year the Sheppard Center of Greenbrier Valley donated new water weights and noodles for participants to use in class. The group would like to express their appreciation to The Shepherd Center, in addition, to Greenbrier Valley Hospital’s Senior Friends for their grant which allows for the classes.