These two undated photos show the first and second Presbyterian churches in Ronceverte. The initial Presbyterian church was organized in 1881 as an outpost of Lewisburg’s Old Stone Church by Dr. M. L. Lacy. The first elders were J. A. Coffman, E. L. Kramer, D. W. Weaver and F. P. Sydenstricker. The first deacons were W. W. Brackman and Quinn Morton. The original church building was used jointly by the Presbyterians, Episcopalians, and Baptists until 1923 when the second, and present, Ronceverte Presbyterian Church was dedicated. The total cost of the new church was $86,564.95 (about $1.4 million in today’s dollars).
Photos courtesy of Greenbrier Historical Society.
Sources: Ronceverte Presbyterian Church 100th anniversary pamphlet, 1925 building committee report.