Final Saturday devotion service set at historic Greenbrier County church
The final First Saturday devotions and daily Mass of the year will be held Oct. 5 in the Catholic Church of Mary Immaculate near Williamsburg at 10:30 a.m.
Built in 1901, the quaint country church is the oldest Catholic Church building in Greenbrier County and the third Church building to serve the Williamsburg primarily Irish and German Catholics and has traditionally been a part of either the St. Catherine of Siena Parish, Ronceverte, or Sacred Heart Parish, Rainelle and Springdale.
Restored under the direction of Dr. and Mrs. Larry Musselman of nearby Butler Mountain, the Church is used for the First Saturday devotions May through October and other times by special arrangements through the office of the Catholic Churches of the Greenbrier Valley in White Sulphur Springs. A Catholic cemetery, dating back to the 1870’s when the Williamsburg Catholic community was organized, is nearby and is also maintained by the Musselmans in cooperation with other traditionally Catholic families in the area.
Located just off the Frankford-Williamsburg Road on Catholic Church Road, the Church is approximately 4½ miles west of US 219 in Frankford which is nine miles north of the Lewisburg exit on Interstate 64.
Father Chapin Engler, Jr., will officiate at the daily Mass and the Musselmens will host a covered dish luncheon following the service.
The public is invited to attend this special service in the historic church.
For further information on the Catholic Church of Mary Immaculate and the services of St. Charles Borrromeo Parish, White Sulphur Springs, and St. Catherine of Siena Parish, Ronceverte, contact the office of the Catholic Churches of the Greenbrier Valley at 304-536-1813.