The National Park Service is currently recruiting for an AmeriCorps Volunteer in Service to America (VISTA) Summer Associate to serve in the New River Gorge National River.
The role of the VISTA Summer Associate is to collect, transcribe and catalogue oral histories of original campers; handle the collection and preservation of camp materials; and research publications and relevant media during the camp’s operation. The Summer Associate will work with the year-round VISTA and park interpretive staff to develop a general interpretive plan for the site. The Summer Associate will also work alongside the year-round VISTA to develop programming for Camp Brookside, a future residential summer camp and environmental education center. Opened in July of 1947, Camp Brookside served children of Union Carbide Employees from Alloy. Many of the camp’s alumni are still residing within this region and have expressed interest in sharing their stories of growing up at Camp Brookside. To learn more about Camp Brookside, visit www.nps.gov/neri/historyculture/camp-brookside.htm.
This position is not a staff position and does not include a salary; rather it provides a living allowance less than $1,000 a month. This is a 10–week term from June through August 2014. Applicants will work a 40 hour week, from Monday through Friday, with occasional work on the weekends. The position also includes a $1,174.60 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. The selected application will receive on-site orientation and training in the National Park Service, First Aid and CPR, and access to the AmeriCorps community and alumni network.
• Applicants must be currently pursuing a degree in Appalachian Studies, United States History, Library and Museum Studies, Archeology, Visual Arts, Parks and Recreation or other related fields of study.
• Strong writing and research skills, experience with public speaking and computer literacy.
• Applicants must live within commuting distance to the duty location. The position will be stationed at either the park headquarters in Glen Jean, or at the Sandstone Visitor Center, located in Sandstone. For this reason, primary recruitment will be within the New River Gorge Region including Nicholas, Fayette, Raleigh and Summers Counties. (Housing is not available.)
All interested candidates may apply by completing the application located in the following places:
• Park Facebook: www.facebook.com/newrivergorgenps
• Email Angela Allison at email@example.com.
All applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; or faxed to 304-465-0591; or mailed to the attention of Angela Allison at 104 Main Street, Glen Jean, 25846. Selections will be made by May 15, so all applications are due by May 13. For questions, please contact Angela Allison at 304-465-6508 or Robin Snyder at 304-640-0724.