Alderson Community Market celebrates with ‘dress the era’ sock hop
On July 6, the Alderson Community Market celebrated the holiday with a very successful “dress the era” sock hop. Many local folks attended, including several children, dancing the day away to the live music of Lou Couch. Costume Awards were received by: Micah DeRouen and Daegen Miller-Frost for most original and authentic costume worn to the sock hop. Carrot Club project was sock hand puppets. So far this year, the market has hosted a fudge eating contest, a “dress like your favorite pollinator” day, corn hole contest, water games and more. On June 29, the swearing in of the new mayor and Alderson Town Council occurred at the Interpretive Center, during Market.
The Alderson Community Market is a popular event taking place every Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., May through October, in the lot of the Greenbrier Interpretive Center in Alderson. The Community Market offers locally grown vegetables and fruits, home-baked goods, various unique crafts, and a different family-friendly event each week. All youth 12 years old and under are invited to join the Carrot Club, an educational incentive program consisting of gardening and food education. Carrot Club members receive a prize after each fifth visit to the market. Below is the upcoming events schedule (subject to change), with live music most every market day. All events and music are free to the public. New vendors are always welcome, so bring your extra produce to the market. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 304-445-3040 for more information.
• July 20 – Bike Day – Ride your bikes to the Community Market, bike maintenance, obstacle course. Prize for best dressed Bicycle. Someone will be on hand to repair minor bike problems.
• July 27 – Hat Day – Prizes for most creative food-inspired hats, recycled hat making.
• Aug. 3 – Vegetable Exchange & Bean Day – Bean games (mancala, bean toss) and bean crafts. Vendors bring a vegetable basket or baked good using their vegetables to exchange with other Vendors.
• Aug. 10 – Cooking Contest – Kid and adult categories. Use your favorite fruits and vegetables! More information to come.
• Aug. 17 – “Who’s In Your Garden?” Garden critter crafts, costumes and games. Pen and Pencil Cooking class.
• Aug. 24 – Derby Day – Enjoy the Roller Vixens and squash derby.
• Aug. 31 – Flight Day – Make a kite, watermelon seed spitting competition.
• Sept. 7 – Wild West Day – BYO boots, roping demonstration, games and more.
• Sept. 14 – Corn Day – Corn husk crafts and corn eating competition.
• Sept. 21 – Apple Day – Apple games and shrunken apple doll making.
• Sept. 28 – Potato Day – Sprout potatoes, science with vegetables.
• Oct. 5 – Pumpkin Day – Pumpkin decorating, pumpkin pie bake off.
• Oct. 12 – AutumnFest – a festival atmosphere with demonstrations, food tasting and more.
NOTE: Schedule is subject to change.